Friday, September 24, 2010

To Grandmother's house I go

My Grandmother, who is a beautiful and stylish lady all around, has a wonderfully cozy bedroom, tucked away at the back of her large, 60s-era home. She has stacks of books surrounding the bed and the most perfect shade of blue-green on the walls.

With that as my inspiration, I set out to find gorgeous rooms that use the same or similar shades to bring interest and elegance to the spaces.


How totally glamorous is this room? I love the hints of animal print, the overscale art, the modern stone fireplace, those lanterns, and - of course - the walls! Britt even decides to carry the color into the kitchen as well, where it creates a fun and fresh look when contrasted with the white molding and furniture.



Albert Hadley settles on just a hint of blue by hanging a framed, painted panel of the bright hue. I love the contrast of the blue to the black console, stacks of books, and layers of artwork.

Living area by Miles Redd

Dining room by Delphine Krakoff

I love how this color can impart liveliness and fun to a range of styles, from classic to modern and glamorous to minimalist.


This is such a classy, funky room featured in the late Domino magazine. After doing a little digging, I discovered that, although Domino is officially gone, Brides.com was granted access to their digital archives. Now, viewers can browse through the steadily expanding Domino albums!

It is so sad to me that more and more shelter magazines are closing their doors. It's nice to know that all is not lost (especially not the wonderful photos)!


In this fabulous room by Bunny Williams (created for the 2009 Kips Bay Decorator Show House), there are so many colors, styles, and textures, but, to me, the room doesn't feel overwhelming or busy. I love how there are so many cozy places to sit, as well. A fabulous, inspiring space - just what you'd expect from the inimitable Miss Williams!



I can't get over this arrangement of art! So perfect! The wall color keeps the space fresh and modern, while the collection of pictures and furnishings grounds the space and makes it warm and engaging.

One last photo for the week, this one of an actual bedroom done in this fabulous blue!


I love this bedroom in the home of Julian and Olatz Schnabel. Julian is an artist in every sense of the word and Olatz is a former model who now runs a linen and home accessories shop. You can totally feel an exotic, international influence in this room!

I love how Olatz mixed that regal purple with a brilliant red, all contrasted against that perfect blue. I think this space illustrates so well how to achieve a captivating, yet soothing, space.

Happy Friday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment