Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rouge

Design by Miles Redd

Bold and fiery, red can make a room come to life, create coziness, or inspire passion. It is not a go-to color for me (at least not in wall color), but, through these pictures, I can begin to see the draw of this sanguine hue.


Todd Alexander Romano keeps it classic in this cozy room. I like the traditional hunting scene on the wall, the deer hide rug, and that gorgeous chinoiserie fabric on the armchair. I believe it is Le Lac by Brunschwig & Fils, which is a favorite of mine - as well as design star Joe Nye, so much so that it is featured on the cover of his book, Flair.


Nye used a coral-tinted red in the beach house above to add some fun and playfulness, he explained. It is an unexpected color for the beach, but I agree that the room has a much more festive feel than if he had used a neutral or cool blue palette.


Thomas Britt channels a graphic, funky vibe in this living room by contrasting the rouge tones of the damask wallcovering with black and white furnishings and overscale artwork.


Robert Passal ups the intensity in this room with deep scarlet walls. He plays with an exotic theme here, using a zebra-print rug, pale leather headboard, and buddha lamps.


Chiqui and Nena Woolworth create a fun, fresh look using a combination of red walls and cheerful patterns. Again, we see that mixture of pink and red that is so unexpected and modern.


This bedroom, by Domicile Interiors, is my favorite version of a red room. I like how the red is more orange-toned and the intensity is lessened by the crisp white bedding and headboard, serene wallpaper panels hung as art, and the lively side tables. I think this room illustrates a perfect mixture of heat (from the red walls), tranquillity (that a bedroom needs), and curiosity (that comes from engaging accessories - like the super fun, blue foo dogs on the bench).

Although I probably won't be painting my walls crimson any time soon, I can't deny the allure of red. I use it in pillows, accessories, table linens, and artwork. It can create a buzz, a hum of energy, that you can weave into just about any interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment