Sunday, January 23, 2011

Style Definition

William Yeoward's most recent book

William Yeoward is quite the creative personality. He has collections of china and crystal, lighting and linens, even furniture. He is British through and through (and was even granted a Royal Warrant of Appointment as a supplier of glassware to HRH the Prince of Wales), but he is not the least bit stuffy or pompous. His homes showcase his playful demeanor and joie de vivre, as well as his love of nature and graciousness to his guests.

Margot cushion on chair covered in Louisette Damson fabric

Yeoward's collection of fabric for the exuberant Designers Guild firm (helmed by Yeoward's colorful - but kindred - spirit, Tricia Guild) showcases his style: velvets and linens mingle to create patterns bursting with personality.

Collection of cushions from William Yeoward's line with Designers Guild

I've been flipping through my copy of his wonderful book, William Yeoward at Home: Elegant Living in Town and Country this morning (which displays much of his fabulous fabric collection), and I realized how much I identify with his style. I think he is bit more daring than me (and, perhaps, a bit more modern), but his love of playful, comfortable, and colorful interiors certainly hits close to home.


One thing that Mr. Yeoward does not shy away from is the mixing of patterns. Here I have brought together my own random assortment of pillows (some old, some new) on my newly inherited settee (casually covered in a blush-pink slipcover/sheet).

The lamp is antique (a lovely hand-me-down from my mother), the vase is actually an old jug from my family's milk business, Turner Dairy (which was sold and renamed in the early 20th century), the aqua shell dishes are by Bamboushay Pottery in the BVI, and the picture is one I took in Portofino, Italy, just a few days after my 21st birthday.


I have turned my dining table into a library table, of sorts, covered with a vintage barkcloth drapery (in a fabulously colorful ostrich-feather pattern), some design books (Michael S. Smith's Houses, Elle Decor's Style and Substance, and a vintage English interiors book I found at a discount store recently), and my lovely tulipiere.


Connected to my living room is a small, bright, breakfast room where I house my dining chairs and a small table for quick meals. Both tablecloths are vintage: the pink one is from the home where I grew up whereas the blue-green one was found in an antique shop in my hometown. The pillows are custom, the prints are also from my childhood home, and the plates on the wall are vintage Franciscan.

My living room couch with custom pillow and Sferra throw

I can only aspire to have the creativity that is so brilliantly illustrated in Mr. Yeoward's homes and creations, but I am thankful to have them as inspiration all the same. 

William Yeoward "Gosford" Dinner Plate

This plate, alone, epitomizes the whole color scheme for my living room: blue, purple, green, and orange surrounded by gilded accents. Perfection!

Here's to those who inspire us!

Have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment